We know you can’t escape pumpkin in the fall; you will find piles of pumpkins outside grocery stores and pumpkin sugary (but delicious) desserts and drinks everywhere.
Did you know pumpkins have numerous health benefits? Here are five health reasons for you to be totally obsessed with this season’s superfood.
- Feel Fuller & Lose Weight. Pumpkin packs 3g of dietary fiber per one-cup serving and is only 50 calories. A fiber-rich diet will help you feel full for longer, you will eat less and thereby lose weight.
- Boost Your Vision. A cup of pumpkin contains almost twice the recommended daily intake of vitamin A, which promotes good vision.
- Boost Your Immune System. Pumpkins are rich in antioxidants and contain high levels of vitamin C and zinc, which can help boost your immune system.
- Protect Your Skin. Pumpkin’s high levels of Vitamin C encourage collagen production for the skin to maintain its natural young-looking glow and elasticity to reduce appearance of wrinkles.
- Improve Your Mood. Pumpkin contains L-tryptophan, a chemical compound that triggers feelings of general well being and can aid depression in a natural way.
As the food-oriented fall season begins, add more pumpkin (not pumpkin filling or pumpkin treats) to your diet.
Here are some creative ideas:
- Panini & Sandwiches - Forget mayo or mustard! Spread away with pumpkin puree instead. Try pure pumpkin puree with a pinch of salt & pepper on a turkey and spinach sandwich.
- Protein Pumpkin Spread - Try mixing canned pure pumpkin with almond butter, vanilla protein powder, and a dash of cinnamon. Perfect on a whole grain toast, English muffin, pita, or banana.
- Salads - Spice up green salad with chopped roasted pumpkin - add walnuts or pecan and dried cranberries for a wonderful fall flavor.
- Pumpkin Oats - Stir ¼ cup pumpkin puree into prepared oatmeal, and top with a sprinkle of cinnamon and a drizzle of honey.
- Protein Pumpkin Yogurt - This is the perfect fall breakfast recipe. Yogurt is naturally rich in probiotics.
Probiotic Pumpkin Yogurt
- 6 oz. plain yogurt OR 1 serving of our probiotic yogurt starter
- ¼ cup canned pumpkin puree
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Optional: 1 tablespoon of honey
- Toppings of choice: granola, pumpkin seeds, almond butter or raw nuts
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and stir well. Top with your toppings of choice.